In my book a DRT means the animal doesn't travel after the shot. And animal that simply drops at impact is more like a "bam-flop", but that's my literal way of thinking about the subject.

As for why or whether one can appreciate it the idea, I think that reflects what people have to deal with in their hunting. With deer-sized critters, an extra 100 feet means little in terms of work in packing. Tracking, even with blood trail, in the rain may be another thing. With "super-sized" critters, having them go an extra 100 feet can be entirely undesirable when it comes to the work involved - and that's assuming that it hasn't caused them to find a hell-hole to die in.

Some people like surprises. I don't especially like things that way. There are plenty enough of them as a given in what we do already, be they frozen(?) rivers, unforeseen mechanical problems, weather, etc. When I feel like playing the odds just a bit, I'll use less than a perfect cartridge or rifle. At least with that I have some control. Otherwise, give me "DRT" or I'll keep shooting. (I have tended to get less meat loss with a single good DRT shot than with 1-3 additional shots to accomplish that goal.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.