Off memory, DRTs on deer:

6.5x55 3 with 120 corelokts (neck, lung, spine), 1 with 130 Abond Double Lung
270 1 with 150 btip spine
6BR 2 with 105 amax Head shot, spine shot
260 Used two loads that out of state hunt...either ballistic tip 100gr or 129 SP but was lung shot, have to look at records to confirm

357 Rifle 158jsp spine

7BR rifle 130 speer SP spine running
7/08 139 sp neck>spine facing
243 1 with 70gr tnt Neck shot
338/06 1 200 Btip neck/shoulder juncture
Son's deer 243 85BTHP spine

Most deer I had DRT were CNS hits= head/neck but some body shots. Possible some of those the shock 'hydrostatic' etc. disrupted the CNS.

Majority of other deer double lunged and average 30-60yds to fall.

DRT is what I hope for, DROP RIGHT THERE if not DEAD RT as I can relax in comfort, that I have no tracking or risk of losing an animal I respect, and because I respect them I want as quick and humane kill as possible.

I hate shooting shoulders, etc. due to meat damage.

It is to be expected as above, an animal if not CNS hit, will survive a minimal time on O2 in Blood even if heart not pumping, but what is left is quickly burned up, and C02 rises fast, lights out if bleeding well.

TOO many variables and there are generalities but sometimes WELL hit animals with good cartridges hitting with good velocity and good bullets, just do not want to give up the ghost. Those times, a generous exit hole i.e. a 358 will give you a blood trail easier to follow (and I too am color blind) vs a 243 with a partition that expands to small to marginal frontal area-and leaves a much smaller exit.

At the end of the day, I still believe SHOT PLACEMENT rules, re: of other variables. If good placement is suspect, the hunter has the free will to hold fire for a better shot....or another day.

Thomas I think perhaps for the guys who practice more, they are better shots on average, and perhaps using bullets that hedge their bets towards achieving higher % of DRTs so it is talked about alot, but not obtaining them is not a reason to apologize nor for anyone to criticize others.

I Do get a high level of satisfaction when I see an animal Drop in their tracks, and am encouraged to do it as often as I can, with controlling what variables I can control. I think many others share that goal.