Originally Posted by JJHACK
Bears are really soft skinned, and much more lightly constructed compared to the big African vegans. The soft point is a great choice on the brown bear. I also agree that the TSX for the big African game is a much better option.

Your never over gunned for these species, but your certianly at the upper level of Firepower!

JJ;

Thanks for your excellent posts!

I've only been to Africa once... and that was for a visit with my eldest son and family who lived there at the time, and he arranged for a one-day "safari" where I managed to wack a couple of warthogs with his 12-gauge and Brennekes. grin

My interest has to do with black bears, moose, etc. Last fall I took my 458WM loaded with 350gr TSX's to Northern Ontario for a moose hunt. No moose showed so I didn't get a chance to try them on big game. MV was 2700+fps. Bear are so dominant now in N. Ontario, that predation on moose calves has reached 70 to 80%!

This year the 350 TSX's will be tried on a black bear, either from my 458WM or my Ruger No.1 45-70 Improved (long-throated)at 2470fps. Since I'm known in this area as a guy with quite a bit of experience with bears (not going into details here), I've been invited to deal with a "monster" bear that's become a local problem bear. The owner of the property has recently shot, and killed, a couple of the offspring, or buddies, of the "monster". They weighed about 300 lbs each. Now, the bear in question has a head that's at least over 20" wide (I'll not go into details over that either - but that's valid)and easily reaches with his paws over 9 ft, by tree markings and knocking down a bird feeder at that height - observed. Also, family members chased into the house and a horse attacked and serious damage done.

In a week or so I'll be setting a bait in the bush about 150 to 200 yards from the house. In baiting, I'll be carrying a rifle for self-defence. It's close quarters in there so it'll not be the 458WM while transporting bait. Once the bear is coming I'll put up a treestand at about 35 to 40 yds from the bait. The 458 will not be used in those close quarters but likely my Ruger No.1 shooting the 350TSX at about 2470 fps. While lugging bait it'll be the Ruger, as my Marlin (45-70) is at the smith's getting a couple of inches removed from the muzzle-end (that's the one I'd prefer to be tottin'for personal protection).

Questions: do you have, or do any of your clients have experience with the Barnes 350-gr TSX in .458" in Africa? And,if so, how did it work? And, what velocity for impact would you think would work best on a 500 to 700 lb bear?

It IS very accurate in both rifles and has a significant diameter cavity in the nose. Barnes (Ty)says it will start to expand in a water test down to 1600 fps.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 07/03/09.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus