can't argue that no matter who you are or what your abilities are, that long range begins when you have to start thinking past simply putting the crosshairs on the target and pulling the trigger.

for a .22LR, that would likely be past about 75 yards from a 50yd zero ... for a 'standard' centerfire cartridge I agree that it's about 250 yards from a MPBR zero ...

for me personally, I can typically hit (within an inch or so) of my intended POI out to about 250-300 yds with my centerfires, but after that I have to spin turrets and/or hold off for wind. Even then, it's pretty 'easy' until I get to about 500 yards ... at which point I really have to 'work' to make sure I have everything in order to make the shot - meaning, the rifle/loads have to be well tuned in, I have to have a good solid rest, and I can't be in a hurry or winded (heavy breathing and heartbeat) so that I can concentrate on proper form, trigger pull and follow thru.

I also realize that for some people who are really good shots, that "long" doesn't start until you're at 800 yards or so. I'd love for that to be me, but I'm not there yet. Despite the fact that I get to shoot a good bit these days, I just don't have a lot of opportunities to really stretch things out enough to get ample practice at really extended ranges.

Shane, I envy you guys who can basically step out of your front door and start banging away at 1000+ yards ... I can only imagine that 500yds and closer feels like you're wasting time.

-WGM-