To address the OP : What I know of Long Range hunting [ as opposed to LR shooting ] I've learned from reading posts on this forum . My take on the definition is this :

Long Range hunting occurs when distance - rather than the quality of the animal - defines the hunt .

There is nothing "wrong" with it . It takes the focus off the quality of the game taken and puts it on the ability of the shooter .

A hunter who prides himself on only shooting bucks in their bed is doing the same thing .

I personally have killed enough ordinary deer in my life to pass them up . That doesn't make me an " elitest " and doesn't keep me from admiring a dink shot at long range or in his bed .

I killed my first deer 55 years ago with a 22 lr and if I didn't keep changing my hunting philosophy , I would have gotten bored to the point of giving it up long ago .

My philosophy for the past few years is simple : I hunt until it is time to shoot , then I shoot ! Some hunts I don't shoot at all . Other times I may pass on better animals than I wind up taking . I never shoot just to fill a tag .

If I shoot a pretty ordinary buck at 400 yards primarily because he is 400 yards [ and I've done that ] I'm engaging in Long Range hunting .

If I shoot a buck at 400 + yards because he is a really good one [ and I havn't done THAT !] I'm just hunting for the best buck in the pasture which is what I usually do .

Just my two cents worth on the subject , and - as I said - I derived it from reading what you guys post . grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place