Stan, I have some experience to share that may, or may not relate to you. It should be noted that I have started to relay this numerous times, but have not for fear of upsetting some. I conducted an experiment last year, using a new shooter, who has hunted with me for the past 3 or 4 years. He comes to the range with me once, maybe twice a year just before hunting season. It should be noted that during the mid to late seventies, he served in the USAF, and shot quite a bit at that time. He wanted a new rifle, as he had been using one of mine. I built him a Rem 700 in .300WM, and topped it with a vintage Scopechief 3X9X40 with BDC. This is the scope that has the interchangeable inserts on the elevation dial for different loads. The other two fellas present, are of about the same level, as far as trips to the range, rounds fired, etc. The rifles these fellas had were also a .300 WM and a 30-06. Both of these rifles were topped with older Vari-X II glass in 3X9 configuration. I had set up my 18" gong at 500 yards, and had been poking it at will with my .243. I invited the others to shoot my rifle. The two .300WM fellows also hit the gong at will, and did not miss. The 30-06 guy needed a bit of convincing, as he dismissed this whole LR stuff as a bit of a stunt. He had never taken a shot past 250 yards. Ever. I finally got him to shoot. He also hit the gong at will, and did not miss 5 out of 5 shots. The other .300WM fella, not USAF, decided he wanted to try and hit the gong with rifle, now that he saw how easy it was. I could not help him, as he had no turret on his scope. He figured he could hold over and hit it no problem. Several shots later, he had not connected with the gong. It was USAF's turn. He asked me what to do. I told him to turn the dial on his scope until it said 500. He did. He laid on the ground, held directly on the gong, and proceeded to smack it 5 out of 5 times. 30-06 was most impressed, and asked if he could shoot USAF's rifle. He also connected with gong 3 out of 3. The guy attempting to do the holdover thing saw the error in his ways, bought a new scope with turrets on it, and has been doing well out to 600 yards. He shot a deer this year at 300 yards, through the throat. Exactly where he was aiming. 30-06 has given this much thought, and decided that he also would like a Scopechief with a BDC in it, as it best fits his price range. Take from this long winded diatribe what you will, but I do have a point. If you keep your starting distances reasonable, show respect for the wind, have the right (not the most expensive) equipment, practice, and not be afraid to try something new, it can be relatively easy and uncomplicated to be effective to 500 yards. These were your average, I shoot when I hunt, guys. They maybe fire a box of shells total between all three of them in a year. It's not magic.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.