What distance is "long range"?

I believe there are at least two distinct determinants for what constitutes long range, the personal comfort zone and the accepted group norm (the second changes quickly as the "group" is an ever changing entity).

Personal:

If I have some doubts about my ability to easily hit a target, whatever it may be, I am shooting at a distance I consider long range. The distance changes from day to day (environmental conditions), by firearm and the target (characteristics).

Group:

If I'm plinking with a group of shooters at distances within the comfort zone of the individual group members it doesn't seem to matter the distance, it is not long range. If one of the group happens to call for a "spot for me" and whacks a rock or steel at well beyond the groups comfort zone, that is long range. It's a relative system.

The group acceptable situation is nice so long as there aren't any outside members allowed. Invite (or suffer) a 100 yard shooter in a 600 yard group and you'll either need to limit the shots to 100 yards, teach the new fella to shoot or endure the "education".