Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
hekin, I'll offer some of my opinions, but there is a lot of latitude in hardware.

Beginner setup - If you want to keep it low budget, get a 22 rimfire, mount a Bushnell 3200 10X mildot (about $200 new, $150 used), work up a drop chart via JBM, and work on targets from 100 to 200 yards. you can learn a lot about wind, drop, correction, holdoffs. Transferring that knowledge and experience to a centerfire rifle is easy.

My idea of a good centerfire starter rifle would be something along the lines of a Rem 700 with a varmint weight barrel (there are quite a few variants), and a 10X Super Sniper scope. A Savage, Howa, or similar will do just as well.

223 or 308 are good starter calibers because commercial match grade ammo is avaialable. Most commercial hunting ammo is not all that accurate for working on long range skills.

When I say accurate, I mean consistent 1 moa accuracy, or better. Should be able to put 10 shots into 1", measured center-to-center.

Stocks are subjective. We are all shaped differently. a sporter style stock can work, but may not be as ergonomic as some purpose built LR stocks.

Scopes, The best bang for the buck out there is ther Bushnell 3200 10X, it comes with mildot reticle, and tactical turrets and sells for about $200. And the Super Sniper 10X rear-focus, 30mm tube, parallax adjustable, tactical turrets, about $320 new.

I like the Mildot reticle, but a duplex can work too.

I use 1/4 moa turrets. Leupold M1. Ther is a lot of choices out there. It makes sense to match the reticle and turret to thec same unit of measure. A lot of mil/mil setups out there. The Super Sniper 3-9x42 mil/mil looks like a good setup for about $500.

I can't really recommend any books. I learned a lot on the Sniper's Hide website.

Your comment started some research.... Spent some time on the various Sniper's website and they had some great "stickys" that were good reads...

Here is one of the best: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=237232#Post237232
This is a link within it: http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

My summation of this is as follows: My 1st LR specific rig is going to be a Rem 700 donor action in .308 WIN matched to a local gunsmiths recommended barrel, unless I find some screaming deal on a Rem 700 varmint or police set up of some sort. ??? Looks like one can easily modify a rifle to include a magazine, LR specific stock etc. Once I can improve my skills to where it bores me or I want more I'll pick a Rem 700 in .300 RUM. Set it up, shoot it till the barrel burns out and then consider the .338 EDGE.

As for optics. I plan to start with this (based on MontanaMarine's suggestion): http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx
Next step would be a Leupold Mark 4 (if I am not happy with the beginner's special)

I pretty much have the rifle, optics, and caliber figured out. I plan to start with the standard plastic stock and add a LR specific stock and magazine the following year if I really feel the need. Probably add an adjustable cheek pad, but want to shoot a friend's setup first... Now I need to figure out the scope mounting rail and rings to use and I am good to go.