Great topic and I'm interested in seeing the replies that it generates. I like the definition so far of long range. Seems about as universal as we're likely to get.

For me, LR starts around 250-300 yards with my big game rifles. I then have a pretty slim window of "LR" before it is called simply "too far". That's part of why I'm here - to listen and learn about ways to stretch that a bit (even if just for the sake of confidence in my shooting). That's also why you'll find me asking much more than answering on this forum grin

I am using a LR with a BDC type reticle. Definitely have room to grow there but also know next to nothing in real world experience about dealing with the wind. I know the charts, but that doesn't mean diddly without learning how to estimate the wind and apply the correction. Seems like this is MUCH more of an issue than drop in my book.

Thanks to the guys here who are willing to help out in this quest! Seems like a pretty good group but also a bit touchy at times as you guys are tired of being attacked for the LR stuff. Can't say I blame you much of the time but it does make "newbies" like me think a bit carefully about how to word things on here.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.