MMs` description of a starter rifle is very doable.
Another option would be to use what you are now shooting, as long as it`s a bolt gun, IMHO.
A few examples of mine would include my new 7mm Wby on a 700. The rifle is glassed with a Loupie 4.5-14 BC glass. It shoots dead on the reticuls at all ranges to 500yrds, with a 168grn JLK. I know this, as I`ve shot the yardages to conferm each zero. This load shoots 3/4 MOA at 300 yrds. I know this too, as I confermed by shooting, more than once. Factory original.

I have an 06 that shoots Sierra 180grners, lights out. Confermed by shooting from 100 out to 600yrds.FN Mauser, factory original.

Light guns are the 250AI, Burger 115grn bullet to 600. 700SA. Shoots under MOA at 300. This rifle has a no.3 coutour 24 inch c/m barrel.

Last is my Savage in .223 Mod 12 heavy 26 inch barrel, 9 twist, factory original,55grn Nos BT. Shoots Nosler 80 Custom Comp. bullets into 1/2 inch or less 100 yrd groups. Bushnell 3200 10x MD scope.

Point is that you may have a shooter in the barn that just needs some tuning. My rifles, the 700s are all pillar and glass bedded, free floated barrels. The FN is glassed and floated, the Savage I skim bedded in the original stock, which has steel pillars. All work done myself. Good glass, loads worked up carfully, and shot at all ranges to conferm zerro and accuracy. I shoot off Harris pods, and rear bag when I can when hunting. Bag always when conferming zerros, loads, etc.

This is getting windy, but if you have the opportunity to do so, practice in the summer on varmints, woodchucks, crows, p dogs etc...I`ve been known to go out West for rockchucks...excellent hunting practice, excellent wind reading practice.