Practically speaking, Long Range starts for me at about 450 yards. That's where I have to start paying attention to detail. In average conditions, closer than that I can just whack the bejesus out of my 10" plates pretty much at will...

Whoever said that things get exponentially harder as the range increases out past 600 or so, sure nailed it! At least IME.

I have no idea what long range means in terms of hunting, for me. I killed an elk at about 300 yards. I could have done the same at 400, that day. Not sure about 500. Adrenaline really plays havoc with my particular system. I'd have to have some significant time to settle down before taking a shot past 400 or so. And, my practice on steel shows me that things get wonky for me around 650 yards in terms of first-shot hits, every time, so I guess in reality in a hunting context "long range" is a pretty narrow sliver- between about 400 yards and 600 yards.

heavywalker, that bullet in your avatar is the 180 AB you pulled out of your elk, right? It looks like it expanded significantly at the 1400-ish fps it must have been going. Interesting!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!