Originally Posted by wildswalker
What's long range.........

It's any shot that I can't accomplish with my zero'd setting and/or can't make with standard field positions. Deploying 'pods, or going MPAJ and threading the needle for a 50 or 100 yard shot could well qualify as long range with the right circumstances.

Long range also is not a poke and hope affair. It has a cut off point. In general it's the confident and practiced shot taken beyond the zero range and up to where it's deemed a max range for the bullet to be effective. For example, my 20" .243AI is zero'd at 200 yards with 85 grain TSX's, and I've a personally determined max range of 500 yards for that load. Meaning, from the muzzle out to 200 yards I'll hold/shoot with no corrections. From 200 out I'm dialing dope and won't shoot that load at a deer past 500 yards. I would also have to have ideal conditions as well, to take that 500 yard shot.

Change that up to a damn 'yote, ground hog, or steel target, or a larger caliber with more juice and the max range extends.

Good logic I think............

We think a lot alike on this topic.

One difference is how I zero my rifles � I zero for a maximum 3� rise, which often puts the -3� MPBR past 300 yards. �Long range� is when I have to start using alternative aiming marks (dots or hash marks or whatever) in the reticle.

Still, I�m much more comfortable taking a 500 yard shot at a standing target than I am a 50-yard shot at one that is running.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.