I use to hunt Minnesota and Wisconsin each year for about 15 season...

I hate to say this, as I usually support LEOs...but I don't know what it is in Wisconsin and its DNR...

I've met a few really laid back and decent DNR guys in Wisconsin... but I have also met more A Holes with the 'short man complex in a position of power' among their ranks than anywhere else...

you weren't doing anything wrong RoundOak and also once you showed the officer what you set up was, to remove all doubt, he didn't need to shift gears and then give you the DNR lecture he did...

These guys just like to push scenarios so that they can write citations.. sorry but I have seen it first hand, many more times that once...

they tried it with me besides other people in our party, I just wouldn't bite the bait...

eg, we had one 19 yr old kid in our party... a DNR guy comes up to him and asks to see his license... then also asked him where his back tag was? Kenny said it was on his back.. the DNR guy told him it wasn't..

So he takes off his jacket and hat ( orange), shows the DNR guy the tag...and asking him irritated.. YOU COULDN'T SEE THAT???

the DNR guy, with his attending "witness" told him.. " Oh I saw it, I just wanted to see if you knew it was there....then he wrote Kenny up for being out deer hunting without having Orange on... Kenny tells him "I just took it off to show you the tag, that you could see in the first place!!!..."

"Doesn't matter, you don't have it on now and you have a rifle in your possession and you are hunting..."

So he was busy writing Kenny a citation.. I had observed it from a tree stand probably within a 100 meters..

I climbed down and went over and since Kenny was in our party, stuck my nose into it..

the DNR officer told me to mind my own business.. I told him he was pulling a fast one to give a citation to one of our younger boys in the party, and I observed the entire thing, and it was told entrapment and Bs...

His response was " good you can go into court with him if he decides to try and fight it.. I have my "witness" right here..

well we went to court.. and I drove 200 miles over there and came in as Kenny's witness.. Kenny lived down in Madison.. and this was out of Tomahawk...

Kenny gave his side after the DNR guy gave his story backed up by his "witness"...not only did I tell the judge that I had observed this incident, I had observed the same officer out pulling the same thing on several other people...

This clown evidently had a local rep for being an A HOLE, even among the locals... the gal at the local store was telling us that his witness was his brother in law, and he took him along, probably to keep from him being shot with no witnesses....

That isn't enforcing laws, that is creating problems to create job security for himself...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez