You must live around a bunch of retards to have to endure being scoped by other hunters. Holy crap. I hope you just made that up to try to prove a point. They probably had a round in the chamber too. What a disgrace to the hunting community and shooters in general.

Scope me, and you better be willing to have lead flying your way. Plain and simple..

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Calvin
Yo Tzone...
Swung the spotting scope over to the object and there was a guy standing in some shoulder high brush looking at me with binoculars.

The moral of the story is don't point stuff that looks like a gun (like a spotting scope mounted on a rifle stock) at people, as people will shoot back at you if they perceive they are threatened.

Plenty of rifles out there with Hubble-Esq optics, and it would be way easy to confuse the two.

Still trying to figure out how people are going to "shoot back" at somebody with a spotting scope and stock? Is there a 10megawatt laser firing through that scope? Sure as heck ain't no bullets coming your way. What you're really saying is that there are tens of thousands of hunters who will blow you away if you point a rifle in their direction?

No. 100% no. Anybody who has ever hunted public land in Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska or any other state knows better than that. Stupid crap happens all the time every year, and the wisdom and restraint of the average hunter is what keeps us all safe.

What if they are pointing a spotting scope at you from a prone position? Can you really tell the difference from hundreds of yards away that it's mounted on a stand versus a rifle? What about a scope mounted on a monopod or sticks - fairly common, and from head on would look VERY similar to a rifle sitting on a monopod.

I've been hunting for 35 years and have had several dozen hunters THAT I KNOW OF scope me. Probably hundreds more that I never knew about. I've had rifles fired in my direction. I've had to take cover. I've had to retreat. I've walked away from hunting parties because one or more people were dangerous enough that I wouldn't hunt near them. I've been peppered with shotgun pellets from a distance multiple times, even by idiots who could see me downrange.

But never, ever, have I been tempted to fire first - much less fire in response to a perceived threat. And I never will unless I know for 100% that somebody is intentionally trying to kill ME - not just firing at me because they think I'm a deer or coyote.

I might end up dead or wounded for my inaction, but I sure as heck ain't going to be responsible for putting some teenager or newborn baby's father into a grave because I'm too paranoid or jack full of myself to take cover and evaluate a situation or to retreat.