Bob,
My Father did it exactly like you describe. When their head came into the opening he was hanging out there with a dead rifle and hit the trigger.

I've never done it when the Deer was far enough out there I had to pull on a big open space. On quartering I just try to get on the front.

Couple times I've done it when they were running in an open field more or less crossing and I just tried to float the dot below their nose and then pull.

Sometimes it's worked and others it hasn't. I'd hate to have to make a regular job of it especially if they are in a hurry. Not easy work, whistle although with realistic practice I know one could get good at it.

As in shooting shotguns, swing thru is all about timing, and some-days you have it and some-days you don't.

I've never done it, but if you use swing thru in the woods, you not only have to time your swing with the Deer but also with an opening. Once you start the swing, I would think it would be hard to stop and restart if that opening didn't exist. Out in the open is another story.

All of it is no different than shooting a shotgun, except you only have one pellet, which does up the difficulty more than a little.

Last edited by battue; 12/30/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler