The OP's question isn't as far fetched as I thought when I first read it. I can picture a young guy just starting out asking that very question- someone who maybe has been exposed to a boat-load of slick magazine writing, TV hunting shows, and advertising (letting said stuff influence his understanding of real-world shooting) and hasn't personally experienced the "less really is more" beauty of this hoary (look it up) round.

I've been around the barn a few times in over 40 years of rifle shooting and find myself always coming back to the .30/30-class of cartridges. They work, period. My choice for a day at the range? A couple of .30/30's (or one of it's kissin' cousins) ranging from carbines to target rifles and a sack full of reduced cast bullet loads. My choice for a day spent mooching around the deer woods? .30/30 (or .303 Savage). My choice for a day of varmint hunting? Probably not a .30/30. My choice for "big game" hunting ( whatever that means)? Probably not a .30/30. My point? Pick the right tool for the job at hand, that works for you (and don't sell the old stuff short just because it's "old").

P.S. by the way, the .300 Savage is 91 years old this year, not 60.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty