Mar336: Thanks for a civil response and explanation. I have only used upper case type for emphasis not anger.

I never itended for this thread to be focused on me! I posed the question because in nearly all of my hunting even going to or from my specific hunting area there are open areas where deer can be seen and shot or shot at. This discussion might register with one or more that a flatter shooting rifle can be used in close woods hunting as well.

There have been many questions or points raised that have already been discussed in this thread and for time & space I have not reentered those discussions. It indicates some have not read the thread, just jumped into the middle not knowing the previous discussion.

I am not trying to convice or convert anyone to my type of hunting or shooting. There have been several answers or perspectives about why people choose a 30-30 that I respect. For instance one fellow uses one in the area where he lives or works and frequently bumps into elk. That is totally understandable and appropriate. It's similar to people who live and or work in whitetail country keeping a 30-30 handy.

OTOH if anyone traveled from any other state, even a state next door, would you expect them to bring a 30-30 as their primary rifle? I would not.

It seems to me that with nearly every question there is always someone or more than one who make the discussion personal and you know it often turns into name calling, cursing, etc. I don't intend to participate in such.

It seems to me that ADULTS (emphasis) should be able to discuss the pros/cons of hunting, guns, handloading, etc. w/o insults, hatred, and even threats.

I have said already that I appreciate and have seen some new perspectives from others about using the 30-30. Also I'm surprised that so few have even mentioned the 308 or other flatter shooting calibers. I sincerely expected more pro & con about the two positions instead of the majority being pro 30-30.
Maybe people thot I was attacking or demeaning the 30-30. That was not and is not my intent.

I would like to make a humorous comment. I spelled severe, sevier in a post. That was a "fraudulent" slip.>grin< In the city where I live we have a street name spelled "sevier" and it's pronounced "severe". I didn't even notice I used that spelling, it's so common a usage.

I could elaborate more on this thread but I've already said more than I intended. I wanted to HEAR (emphasis) not speak. THANKS to all who have expressed your perspectives & reasons.

JWALL

Son I Don't Know You Well Enough To Miss You........Johnny Cash

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!