Originally Posted by JWALL
jimmyp: 10/4; Some years back I hunted open mature hardwoods. There a 30-30 and almost ANY centerfire would work. I hunted a Ruger Ultra Lite 308 Win and/or BLR 358 among other calibers.

DON'T MEAN TO BRAG seriously, IIRC at least 9 deer have been harvested including the 3 above in an area where any SHORT RANGE, SOFTBALL TRAJECTORY would have PREVENTED me from even taking a shot.

I'm still using calibers capable of making more than SHORT RANGE shots. PRESENT & PAST hunting opportunities. FOR ME WHERE I HUNT a 30-30 would be a sevier limitation.
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION, no offense taken.
JWALL

Put this one page 1, and it may have saved 15 pages (not likely though, and it has made for interesting reading :)).
By the sound of it, you've not hunted with a 30-30, which is your choice. Life is full of them. What works for you may, or may not, work for others. It seems like you went out of your way to say that you find the short range, softball trajectory 30-30 to be a sevier(?) limitation to your ability to your style of hunting, and in a roundabout way, question why anyone else would find it viable. There certainly are some posts from folks that find the 30-30 to be quite useful.
I'm always curious why people feel the need to start threads like this;, and find the need to say "seriously, no intention to brag, just for clarification, no offense taken"...... YMMV.... confused