Originally Posted by Flinch
140 grain Hornady flat base spire point or 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tip would be my choice. These two bullets work all the time every time in the 7mm-08 with IMPRESSIVE internal damage, which is what kills. You sure as heck don't need a premium bullet. The low velocity at 100-300 yards doesn't allow premiums to perform at their best. Cup and core bullets do a WHOLE lot more damage internally. If all you want is an exit hole, then the XMR or XLC in 140 grain weight would be the ticket. I love the little round and have two 7mm-08's. Premiums just don't get me excited, unless you are running them light (120 grains). Flinch

The whole point about a premium expanding bullet is that it's supposed to still expand at long range (low velocity) and hold together at close range (high velocity). The Nosler partition was the first premium bullet I ever used and still does exactly that just fine. A bullet that just does one or the other isn't a premium bullet as far as I'm concerned no matter what they charge for it.

Regards,

Chuck

Last edited by colorado; 01/13/11.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness