Originally Posted by Brad
Dewey, the 160 from a 7-08 will out-penetrate a 180 of same construction from a 30-06... I'm struggling to understand how that is a bad thing.

The 7x57 and 7-08 are two peas in a pod and I doubt anyone would seriously question the 7x57's world-wide game-taking-ability.

I'd not hesitate to tackle a grizzly with any of the above, and would include a 260/6.5x55 with a good 140...

Cartridges are more alike than different.

OK, I am well aware of the capabilities of the venerable 7x57, having shot and hunted with about ten different rifles so chambered since my first 50 years ago. I have four now, but, only two are operational as I am selling most of my custom projects "as is".

I used to have a 6.5x55, a Mannlicher-Schoenaur carbine, much the same ballistics as the 7x57, or, the 7/08 and have had five .280 Rems., have three now and three 7mmRMs. I have loaded for and shot a 7mmSTW some, so, all in all, I have some experience-based knowledge of 7mm hunting cartridges and I have also had about a dozen .270Wins, used a .270 Roy by Biesen and consider all of these a "wash" in most respects.

BUT, with the exception of Bob's comment, nobody has addressed my query of yesterday, WHERE is/are cutoffs for actual power increases in hunting cartridges?

Grizzlies, well, this is a genuine concern here in BC, a region that, with Alaska and the Kamchatka area of Russia, has the largest number and densest population of these bears anywhere. Grizzly issues are a REAL problem here for hunters and one which, IMO, should be a consideration when choosing an Elk cartridge.

So, again, what do you and others think is the point(s) where a genuine increase in gsme dropping/killing power exists?