In my experience, few entrance holes provide much blood, if any on the front end of elk. The tissue and fat usually seals them up. I have experienced this a lot with elk frontal hits. Kind of strange, but happens a lot.

I still shoot a long barreled 7mm mag for elk, when I rifle hunt them. I primarily bow hunt them now (a lot less people and it is much warmer ;o). My primary deer/everything rifle is a 7mm-08. I shoot the 7mag a lot as well, but the 7mm-08 is just so dang fun to bang away with and only weighs 7 lbs.

I sold the long barreled .30-06 a while back, but it accounted for a lot of elk, moose and deer. I just hated the Model 70 action and won't own another one. I will have another one soon, but in a Remington. I dearly love the caliber, but the 7mm mag simply lights stuff up with more authority and has a much flatter trajectory past 400 yards. Okay, so I am a 7mm slut, but I am a good 7mm slut ;o) Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.