Originally Posted by Flinch
I will take every crummy, explosive poor penetrating ballistic tip you can send my way ;o) I Love them!

Just curious and not trying to chide you in any way, but really, would a hit from any other bullet anchored any of those critters you "chased"? Premiums make exit holes, but do little in stirring up the innards of critters, unless some good bone is hit.

Yes, bullets that penetrate well on elk do make a difference--in my experience. I may not be an expert at most things in life, but I killed my first elk in 1970 and have been killing elk fairly regularly since. I've also observed more elk killed by family, friends, and clients, and by now got a pretty good idea how to evaluate bullet performance when I'm up to my elbows in blood and guts.

I've killed as many elk with conventional cup & core bullets, and even bonded bullets, as I have premium bullets--which is why I've learned to like premium bullets.

There are regular questions on the forums by folks asking if their favorite bullet (x, y, z, etc) is sufficient for elk. There is ALWAYS enough answers to assure them it's plenty good. Apparently every bullet, in every caliber, in every cartridge, at every velocity, currently manufactured is sufficient these days.

I mean, I kill elk with my 56# recurve and Zwickey broadheads, so I guess every rifle and bullet is probably overkill grin

And yes, I've seen bullets do things they weren't supposed to do, and I've seen critters respond to hits in odd ways. But for whatever reason, an exit hole tends to produce a very sick elk, that immediately acts sick, doesn't go far, or just dies on the spot.

The bottom line is this; Premium bullets seem to produce less drama, and I've chased enough elk over the years that I like less drama.

I've yet to see a Ballistic Tip make it to the far ribs of an elk.

Dober sometimes uses a mean-azz 7mm Mashburn with a wimpy bullet, I sometimes use a wimpy-azz 243 with a tough, deep penetrating bullet.

I guess it all comes out in the wash.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.