My first was a Savage 16 that I bought for my Elk hunt in 2008. I used a 130 TSX to take a 5x6 at 195 yards; I found reasonable accuracy although I didn't do a lot of load development with that rifle. Actual felt recoil with 130's seems about the same as my 308 with 165's.

I have only shot one Elk and one Whitetail Buck in my life because my time to hunt has been limited. The Elk hunt was a gift from my Uncle and I am dang proud of my Bull although the successful hunt does not prove anything as far as the 270WSM or the TSX is concerned but here are pictures. The 130gr TSX is next to a 140gr Accubond for scale. He was quartering away and I was shooting down at about 45 degrees, the TSX went in behind the rearmost rib, clipped the bottom of the spine and was inside the hide on the opposite chest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I sold the Savage and bought an Extreme Weather because I liked the rifle a lot better than the Savage and stuck with the 270WSM because I believe the cartridge is a keeper. I have multiple cartridges including a 6mm Remington and a 308 that will do everything the 270WSM will do as far as hunting but this the only 270 or magnum I own.

I have spent more time with load development in the EW and have found several combinations that provide less than 1" groups at 100 yards but I am still working in a consistent load.

I have used H4350, RL17, H1000 and Supreme 780, RL17 causes sticky bolt lift at the upper end charges.

I wish Nosler offered a 120gr Ballistic Tip but in the absence of that bullet, I am loading mostly 130gr and 150gr BT's. I want to try TTSX's, Berger VLD's and Sierra Matchkings for fun.

Dave

Last edited by RDW; 03/26/11.

Dave