If I SHIP THE TRIGGER AND ACTION SEPERATLY WOULD I BE LEGAL?
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by billyzink
Anyone know what the rules would be to ship a Remington 700 muzzleloader action from MN to IL. Trigger included with action but no firing pin?
The '68 GCA defines a firearm as follows:

"� 921 Definitions.

(a)
As used in this chapter�

(3) The term "firearm" means (A)any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm."

Notice there's no exclusion for firing pin removal nor is a firing pin included in the definition of a firearm. That bullshit old wives' tale needs to STOP.

Illinois law goes further:

"65/1.1. Definitions For purposes of this Act:

'Firearm' means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding, however:

(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun or BB gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second or breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;

(2) any device used exclusively for signaling or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or the Interstate Commerce Commission;

(3) any device used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition; and

(4) an antique firearm (other than a machine-gun) which, although designed as a weapon, the Department of State Police finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon."

"'Firearm' means any device...designed to expel a projectile...by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas...excluding...an antique firearm...the Department of State Police finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon."

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5-2011/atf-p-5300-5-illinois-2011.pdf

Federal law provides exempts muzzleloaders from the '68 GCA, while Illinois law leaves the door open for a state police bureaucrat to arbitrarily define them as firearms.

A basic Google search for "Illinois State Police" yields this:

"Do I need a valid FOID card for a muzzleloader or blackpowder gun?

Yes. In Illinois, muzzleloaders and blackpowder guns are considered firearms."

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Shipment of a muzzleloader to Illinois would need to be received by a federal firearms licensee as on any other Title I weapon.