Again I had to go find the answer myself since you have no clue about actual federal laws or regulations which FFL's have to abide by.

There was a change in the law in 1986 by the Firearms Owner Protection Act which switched the verbiage of shipping firearms from saying only for the purpose of repair or customizing to allowing any firearm to be shipped to it's owner. According to the ORIGINAL GUN CONTROL ACT what I was asking about was illegal. You clueless moron.

Subsec. (a)(2)(A). Pub. L. 99-308, Sec. 102(2)(B), substituted "licensed dealer, or licensed collector" for "or licensed dealer for the sole purpose of repair or customizing".

The exact statute allowing the return of a firearm to it's owner is 18 U. S. C. 922(a(2)(A).
(a) It shall be unlawful -
(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that -
(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

God save us from internet experts, and God help the poor guys who think you really know anything about what you scream about. Even when you're right, you're clueless.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com