Here is a question I hope can be answered here.
If I were to buy a brand new action alone from a supplier such as Brownells or others can I check in box 18 on the 4473, Other AND Handgun?
For instance, the LH Savage SA has been made by Savage as both a long gun and the Striker handgun. Since that action cannot be considered as being capable of ONLY being made into a long gun, as specified in the instructions on the 4473 for box 18 it would seem that one could use both the Other and Handgun classifications.
If this is the case, and one has all the other required permits to buy a handgun, would registering it as such establish that particular action as a handgun forevermore?
If one now has an action registered as a handgun is one free to switch stocks and barrel lengths at will to make it a handgun with a 10" barrel and a handgun stock one day and a rifle with a 24" barrel and a rifle stock the next?
Would this also apply to say a brand new Remington 700 action or any brand new bolt operated action for that matter even if that particular action manufacturer never made a handgun from it?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.