Originally Posted by nsaqam
Thanks BT!

If I read that legalese correctly, and I'm not certain I do, I could buy a brand new LH Savage SA and on the 4473 check OTHER in box 18 and at that point I can make either a handgun or a rifle out of it.
I would appreciate any further insight you may have on this BT. Am I understanding it at all correctly?
It's my understanding from reading that ruling and discussing this with an FFL/S.O.T. friend that the firearm would still be sold as a rifle or handgun as currently assembled. (Virgin receivers are sold as receivers; receivers and actions that were formerly rifles are still rifles.) The end user can then acquire the parts to completely reconfigure the rifle into a handgun or vice-versa provided each set of conversion parts is kept together without having stepped into NFA territory.

As long as your conversion is configuring from one type of Title I firearm to another type of Title I firearm, then you haven't crossed into the purview of the NFA.

However, if you bought a conversion to simply attach a buttstock to a handgun or to add a short barrel of less than 16-inches to a rifle, then it would appear your intent was to create an NFA weapon.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.