Originally Posted by krummarine
thank you for weighing in, Mr. Shoemaker. As someone who has repeatedly, "been there, done that", I value your opinion greatly on this board.

BobinNH; you're a good writer, but that doesn't mean your points are valid. You can cling to your old beliefs to your hearts content but don't be afraid to grasp modern technology and design.

krummarine thanks for the advise. grin I will try to remember it.let me repeat...I had one already...I got rid of it, failing to be mesmerized by the "advantages"... frown

Why don't you tell me what advantages it holds for me? confused

I would not have engaged you to the extent that I did except that I thought you were a bit depracating towards older folks, and older cartridges under the mistaken belief that, because you recently "discovered" the 375 Ruger,that it was somehow something "new" and technologically superior, which it clearly ain't....but this seems to have zipped right over your l'il ole noggin'.....which...to me...by now,isn't coming as much of a surprise. frown

I was merely pointing out to you ( or trying to), that it is most assuredly not "new" and is based on a design fully as old as the H&H case itself.This seems hard for you to grasp...

It really isn't my fault that you do not know this.So to feign superior intellect because you are using a "newer" cartridge,and proclaim the 375H&H as ready for the bone yard in the face of the 375 Ruger because it's "new" technology,is not only intellectually dishonest, it is downright ....hilarious. cry

And the notion the H&H needs vindication from me or anyone else is equally amusing smile

That extra 100-150 fps in velocity that you seem to proclaim as setting it apart from the old derelict H&H cartridge is easily achieved by simply blowing the old Holland case out to 375AI or 375 Weatherby....both of which I played with likely before you were born.(not that the extree velocity matters a whit in terminal performance.Ask a few million animals).....and with that as a given,the 375 Ruger holds no mystique for me.You may be mesmerized by it....all I can do is stifle a yawn... tired

I have no doubt, as Phil Shoemaker says, that they sell a bunch of 375 Rugers in Alaska;the rifles are cheap,they work forever,are bomb proof and reliable,and the cartridge is a good one(although hardly singular and unique to any degree).See above.But I am still willing to bet a beer that there are far more 375H&H's in Africa and Alaska combined, than there are 375 Rugers. wink

And yet I know of one well known brown bear outfitter who(if memory serves)had D'Arcy Echols build him a splendid M70 outfitted with a peep sight for use in Alaska.....it was not chambered for the 375Ruger....it was the 375 H&H. cool

I seem to recall that Darcy built one 375 Ruger and had the devils time getting it to feed,although because D'Arcy is so really good, he got it done....

Anyway I wish you the best of luck with your 375 Ruger and hope it alleviates your handicap....it's a terrible burden moving the bolt a few fractions of an inch further to the rear with the Holland case.....most normal people don't find this a terrible ordeal frown

The day may come when the Ruger overtakes the H&H cartridge in widespread use....but it isn't gonna happen in your lifetime. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/16/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.