Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by 458Win
The difference between the 375 H&H and the .375 Ruger are almost identical to the differences between the 300 H&H and the .300 Win Mag.

Alaskans are voting with their pocket books and the Ruger is currently outselling the ancient H&H by a wide margin and a number of astute African PH's are also discovering the benefits of the Ruger as well.

Phil-this is just me but I'll hazard a guess that it's more about the price point and the package than it is about the round. Thoughts?

Personally I like the package that the 77/375 Ruger has to offer but it's very hard for me to find a factory 375 that I'd even remotely consider toting as it comes from the factory. The 700 XCR is the only exception to this that I can think of.

Thx
Dober

You are right that the price point and package certainly affect how well a rifle and cartridge are accepted. That is one of the main reasons H&H rifles built on cheaper Mauser bolt actions became noticed in 1912. Then as the performance became known the H&H round gained a legion of loyal fans. A few of the most rabid posting here. wink
So did the 300 H&H, but a other rounds were developed that either duplicated or surpassed the ancient, overly long H&H case, and could be built on even cheaper and more readily available actions, the demand for the longer case was no longer there.
Just as the .300 H&H still has a few loyal fans, I am sure the 375 H&H will be around for a long time, but hunters will vote with their wallets and my prediction is that the 375 Ruger will eventually overshadow the .375 H&H just as the .300 Win beat out the .300H&H. Not because of any ballistic advantages - which are minimal - but because you can get the same performance in a smaller, cheaper package.

And when it comes to dangerous game, nostalgia isn't worth a bucket of warm spit, while performance is and, although a slightly longer bolt throw makes no difference on the range, when your life is at stake and you are under stress even minor advantages count.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.