Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

You mean we are the old guys here? grin

Haha! Yeah!!

Only thing is some of the "old guys" have had 8 pound(scoped)375's,for over 30 years(A Ruger African with scope weighs 9 pounds. Like I said,I had one),and have been pushing 250 gr Bitterroots and other 250's at 2900+ fps,out of them for the same time frame without a hitch.Those oldtimers kurmarine like to throw digs at were building light 375's with wood stocks back in the 50's....guys like Shelhammer and Biesen built them,and they weighed about 9 pounds on the button.just like the Ruger Hawkeye.

It has been maybe twenty years since a pal and I figured out that 250 load shoots just as flat to 400 yards as a 340 with a 210 Partition(actual shooting with our rifles).

When the Ruger cartridge and rifle came out I tought..."Well thats pretty neat...it will do a bit better than the Holland and the rifle is well built and designed....about what we've been building for 3 decades". grin

But just because its commonly available today to the masses at a cheap price, doesn't mean its "better"....its just more "available". smile

Bob, you mention Shelhammer here. I was given an Oct 1954 American Rifleman which has an article by John George about " Three Little Rifles "...one of which was his 375 H&H by Shelhammer. Barrel was cut down to 22 inches and turned down to reduce weight. Lyman Alaskan scope ( something he used effectively during WW2). Shelhammer stock with a shorter than normal butt to be able to work the bolt from the shoulder. Also, it was not equipped with a recoil pad, but rather a solid Neidner model. Rifle action was a Winchester mod 70. He called it a "featherweight" in the article. I don't believe he gave a precise weight for the piece.

Another short and light weight 375 H&H was built by Fred Wells on an 8MM Mauser bring back from WW2. It had a 20 inch tube and a Lyman 2x scope. Apparently it was his loaner for people that didn't have a 375 but needed one. They nicknamed it the "Beast". It had much dangerous game to it's credit. Read about it here... Boatman blog

Last edited by Dave93; 12/17/12.