I agree that Mod. 70s in .375H&H are too heavy and in several other chamberings, as well, IMO. I have packed P-64-70s in .375 H&H and .338WM many, many long, hard miles in the mountains of BC-AB and in northern Alberta's gooey muskeg (YUK).

So, I finally sold my nice original .375s and only kept one, which is in a Rimrock handle with a matching .300H&H and I almost never shoot. I have the little shorty on a P-64 action, 20" sts Classic tube, etc, etc, and THAT is my idea of a working .375H&H. I do not load as hot as I might, get 2400 fps. with 300 NPs at the muzzle and sub-moa grouping.

This, is my final purpose-built "working rifle" and it really performs. Built from salvaged parts, it did not cost very much, BUT, it works like it did and if I ding it, I do not care....if, I ding one of my nice original .338s or the .375/300 set, I get a little irate and say stuff that, long ago, the nuns at St. Joseph's would sorta "tune" me for..........

A light .375 H&H, 23" bbl., to 8.75-9.25 lbs, ready to rock is probably as close to the perfect all-around one rifle as we will ever see in our remaining lifetimes. If, one prefers the Ruger, hey, it's all good and I might well trade into an African in .375 Ruger, would for sure if it was stainless, just because I really enjoy shooting medium magnums.