Originally Posted by Bighorn
A Ruger Alaskan or guide gun, with 20" barrel and in .416 Ruger, would be ideal.

In case you decide to shoot an escaped feline, worth many tens of thousands of dollars, and don't want to put up with the endless lawsuits and public condemnation for your actions, it is easier to turn the short barrel around and put in your mouth. laugh

I'll go out on the proverbial limb here, and assume that's sarcasm.

If not and maybe even if it is, I'll add that to my limited understanding, the (hundreds of USDA licensed) big cat "sanctuaries" are full up because there is little monetary value in adult felines in the U.S.
Cute little ones are in high demand, for some reason people love to have their picture taken with young tigers, go figure.
Reach maturity, as a tiger in the U.S., and you have little to look forward too. So, we have all of these "rescue" operations.
Add the wealthy jerks who want a cub as a pet but can't deal with the adolescent felines deadly nature.
It's evidently the same in wolf land. Seems like a great idea, then goes south. Look for a rescue operation to bail them out.
The one local to me holds fundraisers fairly often, just to pay for the large amount of feed they go through. Admission prices are also high. They go thru a lot of meat in a month.
So even with my weak understanding of commercial tiger pricing I'm pretty sure that if they could sell one for "many tens of thousands of dollars", they wouldn't be regularly begging for money to feed those tremendous cats.

And like most here I recon, anything threatening the life of me and mine, is subject to lethal intervention. In my part of the world there would be public aclaim, no condemnation and when the Little Ones are in danger, I fear no lawsuit.
There are things worth killing for, worth dying for, and worth doing prison time for. My Family meets all 3 of those criteria.
Not being the suicidal type, I'll pass. But if I was there are a rediculous number of handguns around here that would be much more practical than a 20" Ruger bolt gun : )

J

I'll add that my knowledge is limited here. Correct me if I'm wrong. But when they move in next to you, you might do a bit of research as well.

And thanks to all who responded, it's been helpful.

Last edited by JTMcC; 03/27/14.