Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Some of these posts are getting bit bizarre.

If I were you, I would just keep the .308, given the total unlikelihood it would ever be necessary to use it for this purpose.

Right.
It is the interwebs, so odd, obscure, irrelevant sometimes stupid post's are the norm of course. Those have been in the minority here, and a lot of useful information has been posted addressing the "real" question I asked, to my benefit.
The kooks who have reading comprehension problems only get what they get.

I should add to avoid confusion, when I say .308 I'm talking about the Grand Old 30-06, not the (mystical) .308W. I have no grudge against the .308 but my personal battery contains many '06's and no .308's. Were I born a few years later, that equasion might be skewed to the latter.

Very, very unlikely as I've (repeatedly) said (3 or 6 in a million or so : ) can't really be less paranoid than that), but being a curious and interested handloader I've got the urge to work up at least three reasonably accurate, go to rounds (one light for caliber, one conventional and one heavy for caliber) for a mid bore caliber. Everybody has to have a hobby, right?
I've got good sound data on every caliber I own, and many that I don't own. It's all good clean fun too me. Having a range on my property and 3 generations of reloading data/components/equipment, we're always looking for something new and interesting.
And the mid bores are a void in my inventory I'm looking to fill.

If it's also large cat medicine, then good for me.

John