Originally Posted by hatari
My choice is the .450/400 NE double.

[Linked Image]

And a handsome choice it is. Plus an impressive buffalo.
Having quite a few monetary priorities that currently rank higher than a classic English double, and given the current economy, I unfortunately don't see one in my immediate future.

It appears (to me) that the conventional wisdom of those with experience falls a bit toward the faster .375's though there's no doubt in my mind that all of the cartidges mentioned could be used effectively.
I'll just keep on the look out for a used rifle in say 35 or 375 Whelen (or 9.3mm) up to the .375 magnums that REALLY grabs my fancy.
Not goofin on the 45-70, I've run some very heavy loads thru a Ruger No 1 for many years but I've worked a bolt thousands of times for every time I've worked a lever action. I could just see myself reaching for the bolt handle on a lever gun : )
Until then I'm fairly content with my current 30-06 w/Nosler Partition, I've carried that rifle since 1980 and it's a near and dear friend.
Maybe put an adjustable gas plug on my '43 M1, mount a 2 1/2X scope ahead of the action and see how it likes the 200 gr. Partition just for fun.

John

Last edited by JTMcC; 04/03/14.