I did some "experiments" a couple months ago with my 7-08 Montucky regarding fore-end control. When I was working on my loads I realized it needed fore-end control but didn't know what "impact it" had laugh ... so I shot one target with different holds one day when I was bored.

Although the felt recoil is very low, there is considerable muzzle jump compared to my other hunting rifles. If I don't control the Montana, it'll shoot willy-nilly all over, for me. Sometimes worse than others. With a tighter hold I get more consistent results from field positions.

Could be me and my technique, but I had four 300 Magnums that needed very little fore-end control in comparison. My main hunting rifle for awhile was a T3 SuperLight Tikkler shooting the 200gr NAB at 2900fps... roughly 7lb rifle all-up ready to hunt. I shot that rifle with my support hand on top of the scope. Recoil was significantly higher than the 7-08 Montana but it didn't require much control and it shot lights-out consistently.

This is an ugly target from the 7-08 but was the result of my test using the 120gr NBT at 3100fps. Shot prone, using a cheap Caldwell rifle rest, no sling. The first 4 shots were done loose, the next 4 shot with a firm grip on the fore-end, then the last 2 were shot like I'd fire my Tikklers (free recoil, little if any hold).

At that time the trigger was set at ~2.25lb. I think shots #9 & #10 are more a product of the light rifle getting pulled off target than anything and me being mentally done with trying to prove a point to myselfgrin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/19/14.