Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Paulh
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Or you could just buy a Savage.

I would rather shoot a cobbled together Mosin.

Now that's funny! When I took my Montana to our local range there was one old guy there with his wife shooting a Mosin. He asked what rifle I had in the case. I said a mountain rifle. he wanted to see it and I was being nice and handed it to him to look over. He had never even heard of a Kimber but started proclaiming the benefits of the 7mm-08. Then he told me that if I liked the 7-08, I should buy a Savage or if I wanted something really accurate get a Mossin like his. Luckily he was leaving and I didn't encourage him at all.

Funny, these Savage haters. I've owned a bunch of rifles and still own quite a few. I've had to do excessive work on a bunch of very expensive rifles in order to get them to shoot MOA, and I've had a few shoot MOA or less out of the box on our first date. One thing I have learned, is that you can do worse than a Savage fairly easily, spending over twice as much moolah. Ugly? Well, yes, to some and even to me. But the couple I own shoot very well with nothing more than a load work up. I have a 308 bedded in the crappy factory plastic that will shoot .5 with multiple loads and bullet weights. Excellent truck and barn guns IMO.

Op

Bed your Montana as many with knowledge have said. In 24 hrs, it will shoot consistently with all loads, and once you find a load It likes, MOA when you do your part...with the forearm in the rest and your off hand under the butt. wink

Last edited by 1Deernut; 04/20/14.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson