Originally Posted by 4th_point

For what it's worth, I never believed the claims that "light" rifles were harder to shoot when I owned the T3 Tikklers. They were easy to shoot, but nearly 1-pound heavier. After owning this Montana, I found that it requires a different technique for me to shoot well, but is a lot more enjoyable to carry grin

I figured out holding the forearm firmly on one of my first MT's... works for me. A sub 6lb rifle at the bench is different than a 7lb or 8lb rifle, at least it is for me as a mortal.

The FOUR big things for the MT after owning a small pile:

1). Tune the trigger... lighter is better. Go 2.5 lbs (hint), and certainly no more than 3 lbs.

2). Shoot it in a good rest (I like Protektor sand filled leather bags) and hold the forearm firmly. I've personally never found any merit in the towel under the forearm idea.

3). At the least, bed the forward receiver, lug (I tight bed the lug), and under the chamber, to end of barrel shank. I prefer to bed the entire action to the end of the barrel shank. Some MT's respond very well to bedding, with others I've not found it mattered. I've bedded everyone of the 15 or 16 I've had.

4). Experiment with a variety of bullets and powders. Don't get fixated on one bullet weight or style/make. Stay flexible. Of the Montana's I've owned only a couple shot most everything well. Most shot some bullets well, and a few were very picky and would only group a couple well. I never had a MT I couldn't find one bullet that would go moa.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery