Originally Posted by BobinNH
I've had a few Montana's.I don't recall that any were terrible accuracy wise,if they liked the ammo. One 7mm WSM sucked if you fed it Federal Premium.With handloads loaded to normal velocity(not the hyper souped up over pressure factory stuff), it shot fine.

One 257 Roberts was stupid accurate.A match shooter at the range thought it was nifty,but asked how it shot.I told him it will put three shots into 1/2-5/8" at 100 yards.

He smiled and said "Show me". So I sat down and put 3 into 5/8" smile He still talks about that.Nice when you get "called" and a plan falls together. wink

IME nothing fancy is required; I don't hold the fore end down. My left hand is back under the butt stock controlling the rear bag....but I do put a soft towel under the receiver,and don't rest the rifle way out on the fore end. The front bag is back under the chamber.Light rifles will "bounce" off firm rests,and groups will go to hell.Controlling the bounce is key.

Very firm sand bags are a hostile environment for a light rifle.

I do tend to draw a light rifle like a Montana back a bit harder with my right hand.

Now Bob, that sounds like the way I'd try holding/shooting the Montana. However, Of course, I'd be drawing it back with the left hand instead of the right. Front rest placement only makes sense to me as well as the soft towel. It also cracks me up when I see guys at the range putting the front rest right under the tip of the fore arm or at the sling swivel stud. crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA