Originally Posted by maddog
Decided to head out this morning and give it a go, before it got too warm. Hit a woods I hadn't been in, yet, this year. Hadn't been in the woods, more than 10 minutes, when I saw one scurry around a big white oak. Shot him at about 15 yds. Stayed put, and saw another, barking at me. Red headed another one, for the skillet. Moved on and heard 2-3 barking. Was watching one, and another came running down the tree I was leaning against. POW! THUD! It was on the ground, in some briars. I bent over to pick him up, and the lil booger run about 2 ft. The briars were thick, so tried to put another shot into his head. Ever try to shot a squirrel at 3 ft with a scoped .22? Not easy. I didn't want to try and step on him, and have him get away[although, after looking at him, he wasn't going far]. Sooo....three shots later, I had him in the bag. frown grin So, I got three on the stringer now, and I start heading back to the truck. Stoped to take this pic.....

[Linked Image]

....and looked up, and saw another one up a near by oak. I eased over and red headed the dude. By this time I'm heading to the truck, with four.

[Linked Image]

Looked up from the tail gate of the pickup, and saw another one up another big oak. Indiana's limit is 5/day, and this would have been my first opportunity at a limit, this year. So, I sneak up on him, and took a free hand shot....and missed! cry Dimmit!......

So I cleaned the four, and headed for home. Didn't know you could shoot that many shells through a single shot, in one outing. grin

maddog

You are giving that Sportster a workout!

I normally use one of my CZ or vintage BRNO rifles for my squirrel/rabbit hunting...but you are getting me itchy to take my Sportster out in the woods again!

I did some trigger work on it about 2 years ago and it really help a bunch reducing my group sizes.

dave