[Linked Image][/URL]http://[/img]

In Oklahoma we can hunt them until January 31, so this past Saturday I decided to try a new place my father gained permission to hunt. It is a papershell pecan grove with a band of mix hardwood thick cover on the west side. I hunted the border of the pecans and the mixed hardwood. I was happy to find this bit of woods holds both greys and reds. The greys were mostly on the ground or moving fast through the trees, but I managed to catch a few when they paused. The rifle is a 20 year old Ruger 77/22 with a Weaver 3x9AO. I was shooting Winchester subsonic hollow points and they worked great. My longest shot was about 50 yards on one of the greys I had missed with the first shot and my closest was about 10 feet. I carried them on an Arkansas squirrel stringer in the way my dad taught me many years ago. Strip the toes on a back foot and feed a sharpened hickory stick under the tendons. Then slip the stick through a belt loop. Makes for bloody pants, but I wear it as a badge of a successful hunt.

Perry

Last edited by PWN; 01/07/15.