The market is changing and more and more folks want cheap rifles. Going forward the American rifle and its competitors are going to have more and more of the market. I wouldn't be suprised to find that the market share of other "flagship" models like the 70, 700 all have decreased over the last 15 years as more of the bolt action dollars go to buy savages, marlins and Americans. Even the older economy rifles like the Tikka have a harder row to hoe.

That said Ruger still makes the Hawkeye and they still make them in stainless, just not the all weather. I would suspect that in time a new "all weather" will surface, but it won't be in as many chamberings nor as in a large a production run as the old all weathers. Maybe starting down a road like the #1 where its limited run kind of thing.

I wonder if in 20 more years our generation will morn for the Hawkeye and its counterparts like my dads generation mourned the pre-64

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge