79S,

Have heard that about Model 70 stockmaking as well, through a source in the industry that says one of the major reasons for moving final assembly/production of Model 70's to Portugal is the workers at the South Carolina plant were screwing up too many walnut stocks, especially on Super-Grades. This is somewhat understandable because the SC plant mostly makes military stuff, so they had no previous experience with walnut stock-making. Apparently the problem was bad enough FN decided to move final assembly/production to Portugal.

I just purchased a "Portuguese" Model 70 from a local store just to get more of an idea of what's happening. The box says "Made in Portugal, by Browning Viana," but the left side of the receiver says "Made in USA," because the receiver was.

Apparently the box says "Made in Portugal" because of the stocks being made there (though have also been told the walnut's from America), but many of the major metal parts come from the USA or Belgium. In other words, like many products made today, it's a mix of stuff produced around the world.

So far I haven't had a chance to shoot the rifle, but the head of the gun department at the store where it was purchased says the customers who've bought them report excellent function and accuracy. (I know him quite well, not just from being a long-time customer but from time spent at the SHOT Show together, comparing notes on various products, and trust what he says.) But I have function-tested, bore-scoped and taken apart my hybrid "Portuguese" rifle and it looks to be as well-made as the South Carolina Model 70's, and far better than the last New Haven rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck