I am a fan of calibers that were once popular, and now somewhat difficult to find, and I enjoy handloading. Many years ago I came across a like new 77 RS with tang safety in 35 Whelen. It was just too nice and original to carry as a hunting rifle (getting a little pricey too, if you can find one) I put it away in my safe, and several years later came across a Hawkeye SS in, you guessed it .35 Whelen. Put a VX 2 3x9 on it, but the LC6 trigger had to go. Put a Timney in it(file a little at a time and check) follow directions. It now breaks like glass at about 3 lbs. Took a while to slick up the action, but now as slick as any of my other bolt guns (except a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 Win). With a variety of 180gr to 250gr bullets available, not real picky about powder, mauser type action, can't beat it. I know most of you would probably pick another caliber, but the 35 Whelen is a reliable no frills killer. Only bad thing is the POS stock. Can't see sinking more money in a stock that costs more than the gun. I do plan to put a Limbsaver pad on, as you will (especially with 250gr bullets) become a believer of Newton's Third Law.