Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the basic truths of hunting rifle sales is that the U.S. is more than half the world market, and 90% of American hunters primarily hunt varmints and whitetails--and the whitetails mostly from stands. Most aren't rifle loonies, so don't care about controlled-round feed, integral magazines, fine metal finish, or "better" stocks, whether walnut or synthetic. Instead they want a rifle that will go bang accurately for the lowest price.

Which is why RAR's out-sell Hawkeyes.

I see this all the time at the rifle range savage axis, rar. I'm the odd guy out with my winchesters..

Given time, some of those folks will drop out of the game altogether, some will continue at that level, and some will become enthusiasts and want something better and nicer as their taste and experience matures. Then they'll start bidding against me for nice Mausers on Gunbroker.

For those who've already arrived there, RARs and the like serve as cheap test beds for cartridges they want to try and as knockabout rifles for rough use. Guys who used to keep old surplus rifles around as beaters can now get an accurate, scope-able, and even stainless piece for the same money. I'm not playing in that particular sandbox as yet, but I get the concept.

What fresh Hell is this?