Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

I would place money on a bet that Ruger would sell a bunch of those old Skel-stock stainless rifles if they decided to build a run in some of the common standard calibers. Heck, they'd make money just selling those stocks if they'ed squirt out a run of them from time to time. I'd buy 3 or 4 just so my boys would each have one solid, go-anywhere "forever" rifle.

I bought a boat paddle 300WM in 98 for around $365 out the door. That stock is way ahead of what Ruger is doing now.

The trigger is garbage but I can still manage to shoot it just fine wink

The rifle in that pic, a 223, ended up going along on a trip we took up the Yukon River late one winter. It became part of the emergency kit that rode the sled pulled by a snowmchine for 500 miles - along the coastal ice of the Bering Sea and the frozen Yukon. Upon returning home, there was a death in the family and the emergency package: rifle, come-a-long, magnesium snow shoes, rope- all ended up staying bound inside that tarp until returned. Then we moved and the sled got loaded up, the bundle staying intact. By the time that bundle was removed and opened, more than 2 months had passed. Of course snow had found its way into the bundle over that 500 mile trip so everything was wet. But aside from a bit of rust on the screws on the scope, and a couple of pins in the working beneath the stock, nothing was the worse for wear. I wiped the moisture off, oiled it up again, and it was good to go.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.