[Linked Image]
This is no stunt. It is my favorite Savage 24 with soldered barrels .22WMR/20 gage 3 inch. Found it in a barrel in a pawn shop with no trigger guard and so covered and pitted with rust that there was no way it could ever be polished out without ruining it. The stock was cracked and scratched up pretty bad. It wasn't very expensive, so I bought it because I can't stand to see a combination gun go to waste.

I took it home and much to my complete surprise, when I ran cleaning patches through both barrels, they came out bright with no rust. So then I used steel wool to remove as much of the rust on the exterior as I could. Once I had it reasonably clean, I only cleaned up the stock enough to feather out the scratches. Then I ordered a replacement trigger guard from Numrich and installed it.

Then I got some Dura Last camo paint and painted it. I had a Nikon scope laying around and since I can't see iron sights anymore, mounted it. I will eventually put a 1 X 4 Lupould on it, but since this gun uses the 3/8 inch grooves to mount scopes, I wasn't sure how that was going to work, or if the scope would stay on it when I fired the shotgun barrel. And sure enough when I shot the shotgun barrel, the scope came off.

So I switched the aluminum rings for some steel Weavers and used a Swiss mini file to file little "teeth" into the bases of the steel Weaver rings and bases. Then I used red Loctite under the bases and tightened then down. Then I used a metal punch to put a little "dimple" in the groove next to where the base was locked into it so that it could not slide in the groove. That solved the scope moving issue.

Then I put it on sand bags and zeroed the scope for 50 yards. The shotgun printed patterns right in the middle of the cross hair. The .22WMR barrel shot dime sized groups at 50 yards. Then I mounted a camo sling and took it turkey hunting and we have lived happily ever after. Have you ever noticed how good a hunter looks carrying a Savage combo gun? Check it out:

[Linked Image]

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.