Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by brayhaven
[quote=Fireball2]My favorite 24 was a 357 mag/20 gauge. Snowshoe hares and ptarmigans hated us. Would like to have another. My only combo now is a 30-30/20 gauge, but not a Savage.

That looks like a "Staggs Built" I rechambereed one of those for my old hunting partner to 30-30 Ackley Imp. One of my favorite calibers. Also extended the 2 3/4" chamber out to 3". Th was a pretty good gun. And the double triggers made it even better.

Yeah, you are correct. I admire you guys that hunt with the combo guns. To me they're more a curiosity. I did work up a dandy load for the Staggs 30-30 with 130 Barnes ttsx bullets that prints nicely. I have since gotten some 110 ttsx to try. Now the idea of improving the 30-30 had occurred to me, however, the Staggs is a pretty rare bird, I kinda hate to drill it. I have hunted blues with it.>>

Don't know that improving it would hurt the value any. The 30/30 AI is a fantastic caliber. One of my all time favorites.
I chambered a marlin 336 once that shot ackley's 110 grain load at 3200 fps and usually under an inch. I took that rifle to a prairie dog hunt in CO and the guys laughed at me.. for a short time smile. After the hunt, one of them kept bugging me and upping the price til I sold it. He later told me he'd won a few bets at his club with it.
I barreled a Ruger #1 with a tapered octagon in 30/30 AI that would shoot sub MOA all day.. Wish I had that one back frown.

The good thing about it is the breech pressure is lowered, even though chamber pressure is increased. P.O. always offered to shoot a win 94 chambered for it with the locking lugs removed. Never heard of anyone taking him up on it..

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/