I am a huge fan of shooting pigs through at least one shoulder, with enough gun. I believe 22 calibers are generally too small and the 24s are marginal. Using the right bullet, in the hands of an experienced shot, they can work, but as I said are marginal in my opinion. I think the best hog calibers start with the 6.5s and go up from there. Almost all off the hogs I've seen have killed have been killed with these calibers. 99% of the hogs I've killed using a 7x57, 280, and 30.06. I have head shot a few pigs. A few I've missed. I don't recommend this as pigs are constantly moving, both forward and backward and the brain is smaller than a tangerine. The pigs kill zone is much more forward than a deer's. Most shots behind the shoulder, except high ones, will miss the lungs. My friends and i started shooting, where we tried to take out at least one shoulder, whether entrance or exit, it didn't matter. That shot is about the size of a volleyball. Which is easier to hit, a tangerine or a volleyball? Since then, we have never had a pig move more than a couple of feet. Most have fallen and done the piggy break dance.
Sorry I'm so long winded. Here is the question.
Have you ever taken out a pigs shoulder, penetrate, the area between, and had one run? Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!