Originally Posted by Mikewriter

Dirt Farmer - .22 mag is a little light for much hog hunting, but probably a good choice with dogs. Too many times a .44 mag will go through the hog and kill or injure dogs. O course, most of the dog guys now want to just use a knife. (Not me!)

Mike

Mike,

This isn't my main hog gun. But for handy, light packing, it's good. I've killed and have seen killed numerous hogs with a .17 HMR using FMJ's. You gotta hit'em right, but it's amazing what that little round will do.

My .17 HMR is a serious rifle, an Annie 1717. My buddy's .17 HMR is a plastic Salvage that we use on hogs. I'll take this plastic T bolt places where Annie shouldn't go... blush

I just sighted it in using a makeshift bench, an aluminum patio table. The W/W 40 gr. FMJ, grouped slightly under 2" at 75 yds. The Fed 40 gr. FMJ grouped .8", so no surprise which ammo I'm using.

With (2) 10 shot mags, one in the gun, one in the butt stock, I'm ready to declare hog jihad... laugh

If it was my show, my dogs, I'd be packing my Ruger SBH, line bored by Jim Stroh to .45 Colt, shooting Penn Bullet's Thunderhead 270's. Those things will whack a hog with authority. Loaded to reasonable speeds, not trying to turn the .45 Colt into a .454 Casull, I don't think they'd blow thru a hog like a .44 Mag. Placed right, they'd kill a hog just as quick/just as dead.

Thunderheads don't cycle thru my .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy (posted earlier) as slick as 300's. They cycle with a slight crunch and light resistance; they'd work in a pinch.

I heard a rumor that gunner likes this bullet, so what can I say... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

DF