Originally Posted by jk16
Szihn.
And BTW, Remington m700s have always been reasonably priced rifles. Which means a lot of ignorant newbies have owned them over the years.
Which leads to idiotic things like improperly adjusting or not maintaning triggers or getting talked into converting the extractor design to the SAKO or AR-15 style because. some "expert" told them to.. And sadly,some of those self styled "experts" adjust Remington triggers lower than their factory designed pull weights and sear engagements. Or flood them with oil that dries over time and leads to malfunctions.

But once a gunsmith or lawyer gets involved- magically that all becomes Remington's fault because they did not make a MORON PROOF rifle.

The problem with the Walker trigger, which was pointed out by the designer (Walker) and could have been fixed for a few cents per rifle, were not only ignored by Remington, but publicly denied by them for decades. According to court documents Remington classified the trigger problems as “Fire on Bolt Closure, Fire on Bolt Opening, Fire on Safe Release, and Jar Off“.

Remington’s own manufacturing documents showed that a high percentage of the rifles coming off the manufacturing line had improperly adjusted triggers that could result in FOR (Fire On Release of safety) discharges. In the Model 600 series I seem to recall sampling showed over 50% had to be readjusted before shipment.

While it is true that triggers improperly adjusted or maintained by owners/smiths could and undoubtedly have resulted in issues, the fact is that some rifles were prone to FOR problems when they left the factory. In short, people died because Remington refused to raise the cost the trigger by a few cents per rifle – basically putting profits ahead of safety. That isn’t a problem caused by morons or lawyers, it was an easily avoidable problem that resulted from Remington’s poor judgement and greed. Remington denied and people died.

Do Remington extractors break? Most do not, a great many have.

Do Remington’s bolt handles separate from the bolt? Again, most do not, a great many have.

While I liked both the M700’s I’ve had (and I still have one of them), I have no blinders on and no sympathy for Remington. Remington brought the problems on themselves when they decided settling lawsuits would be cheaper than fixing the Walker trigger for a few cents per rifle.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.